In February of 2015 I joined my first online quilt-a-long, The 1718 Coverlet by Susan Briscoe. I’m a history buff so when I read the history of this quilt I decided to jump in and give it a try. And with so many talented and experienced quilters sewing along, I knew help would be available for me.
Each month for the past year Sarah Fielke and Amy Lobsinger have listed a group of blocks from the book for us to complete on FB. There have been a mix of simple blocks, y-seamed devils, applique and piecing. Most blocks measured 5″x5″ but there were also quite a few odd-shaped ones as well.
I was concerned at first if I could keep up. I had done minimal applique work before so seeing all the animals and flowers appliqued by hand was intimidating. But month by month, I kept going. If there is an applique technique out there, I tried it. And now that I’m done it’s evident that while some of my blocks look great some look pretty rough. But I’m keeping everything as is, mistakes and all.
So here we are a year later. And I am SO excited to share my FINISHED 1718 Coverlet top!!
My final steps are to get batting (I have) and decide what fabric to use for the backing. Next up will be to decide how to quilt it. I believe the original coverlet was all hand stitched and quilted. No sashing or binding was added. And while I do not plan to hand stitch or use sashing I would like to do a simple bound edge.
I’ll update one last time and show you the finished quilt, but for now I will mark this as my first quilt finish of 2016!